Each stone of Santorini, with the exception of the mountain of Prophet Elias, has taken an incredible journey from the depths of the earth, reaching through cosmogenic volcanic eruptions the surface, literally building the island. The walls of the Caldera beyond the admiration and awe they cause to the visitors, are a unique geological monument. Rocky and steep, they rise in the west, trimmed with the white villages of Fira, Imerovigli and Oia.
Santorini or Thira is a cosmopolitan island with a lively nightlife that attracts thousands of tourists every year. Due to the increased tourist traffic, the island offers all kinds of services for even the most demanding guests. The capital of the island is Fira.
Oia is one of the most famous areas of the island, that attracts thousands of visitors each year to witness the spectacular sunsets and breathtaking views over the Aegean. The cobblestone streets and the majestic Caldera will ” travel ” you to a different world.
- The beautiful village of Oia is built on a steep cliff in the southwest of Santorini
- The most famous and spectacular sunset in Oia
- Fira , Santorini’s capital is built on the Caldera
- The volcano eruption in the 15th century BC resulted in the sinking of the central part of the island
- Beautiful hotels are built on the cliff of the Caldera with spectacular views over the Aegean Sea and the volcano
- The island Thirassia appeared after the eruption that sank half of the island under the sea
- The picturesque and romantic churches of Santorini overlooking the sea
- The traditional steeples of the churches of Santorini are magical
- The island makes its own internationally renowned wine with special flavor due to it’s soil
- The island has a unique beautiful view which does not exist anywhere in the world
- Perissa beach is the most popular beach on the island
- The damaged Skaros castle overlooking the island Thirassia, which was part of the island in ancient times
- The Kamari beach with black stones on the east coast of the island