Thraki – Alexandroupoli
THRACE Region – ALEXANDROUPOLIS CITY
The region of Thrace is located at the northeastern corner of Greece and is considered one of the most interesting and rich Greek but also European wetlands. The Aegean Sea, that covers the southern part of the department, forms huge beaches while the mountains at the north side and at the island of Samothraki, are covered with forests of rare flora and fauna. Thrace hosts many historical monuments, archaeological sites and other cultural treasures that offer an extraordinary chance to connect with the past as well as information about the history of the region.
Alexadroupolis (75.000 inhabitants), as the capital of Thrace, is a beautiful sea-side city, noted for its fun-loving and hospitable people and for its appearance of a modern city, which, however, blends beautifully with its more traditional elements.
– Egnatia Highway & Railway: Big road and railway axis that connects all major cities of North Greece. Highway connection with the three capitals of Southeastern Balkans (Istanbul, Sofia, Bucharest)
– Airports: Alexandroupolis airport (AXD) and Xrisoupoli-Xanthi airport (KAV) with many international & national flights.
– Port: The expansion of the Alexandroupolis port is complete and can host big commercial and cruise ships.
Point of interest
The region offers many points that present increased interest to the visitor:
Thrace Region :
- Archeological sites: Mesimvria Zone, Thracian Tombs at Evros’ Doxipara, archeological site of Avdira (Archaeological Museum)
- Soufli town (former capital of silk – Silk Museum)
- Didymóteicho (former Byzantine capital – new Byzantine Museum)
- National Parks: Dadia Forest, Delta of River Evros, Lake Vistonis
- Kosmosotira Church (replica of the Agia Sofia Church)
- Island of Samothrace: origin of the Niki of Samothraki (Archaeological Museum & Site)
Alexandroupolis city :
- Lighthouse square: is the nautical emblem of the city
- Museums: Ethnological Museum, Historical Museum, Ecclesiastical Art Museum and Natural History Museum
- Observation of silk production
- Visit and observation of the wild preys
- Boating with traditional boats (plaves) at the Delta of the river Evros
- Horse riding at the local jockey club of Alexandroupolis
- Visit and walk in the fossil forest of the village Lefkimi, Evros district.
- Visit at a local wine factory, observation of the wine production and wine testing
- Visit and introduction of the culture of the “Pomacs” of Thrace region.
- Small journey with traditional train next to the river Nestos at the area called “Thrakika Tempi”.
- Visit at Alexandoupolis or Xanthi open market.